Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fair and Balanced

I got to witness something unique yesterday: the meeting between the editorial board of a major big-city newspaper, and two political candidates. It was about what you might expect. The incumbent was already well known and friendly with the newspaper writers. Their banter was lean forward friendly, first name basis, just nice people gathering to chat. The challenger was completely overlooked in the lobby, bypassed by the staff, and probably came across as a naive, under informed neophyte. To be sure, the newspaper staff were polite, even amiable to the newcomer. But their preference and familiarity was clear.

It led me to wonder, how does an outsider ever get coverage or mention, when they don't have these advantages. It left me more certain than before that well-organized party political work is vital at every level.
Political parties that don't make this effort and do this work are wasting their time. It is vital that every race be contested, so far as possible. This is the soul of democracy, to offer a choice.

But I am left pondering something I heard on the radio yesterday, en route to this meeting. That is, that there are plenty of Republicans who are just fine with being a second-tier party, with accommodation with the Democrats, so long as they get a share of the spoils. Hence, the Republicans (usually unnamed) who disparage strongly committed rightists like Paul Ryan or Rand Paul.

I'm not saying we adopt a take-no-prisoners attitude. But we need to stand on principle, to proclaim our opinions, and be able to articulate them. But we also need to find those on the other side we can work with, to find the common ground in America. To be sure, there are plenty of opponents who wish the other side ill, and that is a shame. We need to call them out on specifics. Accusing someone of killing people or of desiring dirty air or polluted water is shameful.

I sometimes fear that we have devolved to a point where a "thinking" candidacy is doomed. We turn all too quickly away from the better angels of our nature, toward a mean-spirited negative approach that does not convince me such candidates have a better America in mind. I don't want my political choices to be determined by the lesser of two evils, but rather by visionary, thoughtful, honorable leaders who see America's best days ahead.

A final note: the incumbent was a very nice person, and really has some good ideas and a firm grasp of issues. Actually, we could be friendly, in the right circumstances, and I'm sure we could work together.  I was glad to have been there, but I wish I had been prepared better for the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment