Friday, July 27, 2012

Chick-Fil-A

The founder of Chick-Fil-A, Dan Cathy is a devout Christian. He is a man so committed to his beliefs that he closes his fast-food restaurants on Sundays. Think about that: a man whose ideals are so ingrained within him, that he will forego a day’s profit every week in order to honor God in his own way.

Now the liberals are angry that he expressed his views opposing homosexual marriage. So angry that they want to shut down his restaurants, to bar him from Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia, as if a Chick-Fil-A is an affront to tolerance. I find it amazing that liberals immediately go for complete submission to their ideas, unable to countenance any difference of opinion.  If a true conservative doesn't like your opinion, he shrugs and goes about his business. If a liberal doesn't like your opinion, he has to try and discredit you as an uninformed, heartless troglodyte.

This is true of just about anything that pits liberal against conservative. If a conservative doesn’t like MSNBC, he just doesn’t watch it. But if a liberal doesn’t like Fox, he demands a boycott, wants the cable company not to carry Fox, and decries the bias of every person on Fox. I’ve been told that John Stossel, Lou Dobbs, Geraldo Rivera, and Greta Van Susteren are all now unreliable politically biased hacks. I have heard everyone of these praised when they were on other networks.

I have a dear friend who is a liberal. She will believe anything her union (NEA) tells her. But let me mention anything that differs, and the fight is on. One day, as she was telling me how Mitt Romney made money shutting down businesses, I responded with a story my brother told me. His company, Totes, was bought by Bain Capital. Romney’s investors looked at the company, decided it was worth pouring money into, and made the investment. The workers were told “you have about two years to turn this around.” And their pay was greatly increased – Dave’s was doubled in less than four years. Now, if the company hadn’t pulled itself back from the edge under Bain’s direction, then they would have been liquidated. And then I guess my brother would be on a commercial talking about that no-good Romney.

My friend’s reaction: “How can you verify these claims? You haven’t looked into other information.”  How do you respond to that?  All I could say was, “That’s my brother’s experience. Your actual mileage may vary.”

How do you argue with someone who will deny and discount a personal experience? I didn’t claim it was a total explanation or accounting for Romney’s business deals. Simply one man’s story. But to a liberal, it doesn’t count. By this logic, I can’t prove that Babylon or Julius Caesar existed.  I only have the history books, and I suppose it’s entirely possible that all that stuff was made up.

The liberals would go into orbit if you confronted them with this: While a certain skepticism is healthy, total questioning ends up denying any universal concept of truth, denying any universally common ground, even denying unwanted facts. There was a time when right and wrong were commonly accepted. Now, everything is relative.

I believe that we are all entitled to our opinions, but we all have to use the same facts. If I tell you Mitt Romney did at least one thing that benefited someone I know or that Dan Cathy is free to have his opinion, then accept that. If these men bother you, then don’t vote for Mitt and don’t eat at Chick-Fil-A. But don’t call me uninformed and don’t deny Mr. Cathy his right to speak.

Now, I'm going to have a chicken sandwich and some of those terrific waffle fries.


No comments:

Post a Comment